7 Reasons Why Managed Detection and Response Is Critical for Security Operations Outcomes
Editor’s Note: The article below is an excerpt from Selecting the Right MDR Provider – a Buyer’s Guide to Improved Security Outcomes recently released by cybersecurity experts at Deepwatch. Download the full guide here.
Managed Detection and Response (MDR) is changing the way businesses address their security risks, and the move to MDR is projected to continue for years to come. The tipping point on the long-predicted shift, according to Gartner Research, comes in 2025, when over 50% of organizations will have adopted some level of MDR service for 24/7 monitoring, threat detection, and incident response.
What’s behind this shift to outsource the critical functions of detection and response to an MDR provider?
Seven Trends Driving Demand for MDR Services
Several reasons are driving the demand for MDR services into the future, and adding momentum to the market forces behind the MDR movement:
- Experienced cybersecurity talent is in-demand and hard-to-hire.
- Transformative technology and legacy systems co-exist on the same network.
- Zero-day and unmitigated vulnerabilities will continue to be exploited by threat actors amassing footholds.
- The distributed workforce and work-from-home trends will remain part of the way business is conducted in a post-pandemic world.
- Cloud security challenges will continue as companies migrate on-premises systems to hybrid and multi-cloud environments.
- Threat actors will continue to evolve TTPs, attack “non-traditional” targets, and taking upon the easiest pathways to make a profit (i.e., ransomware-as-a-service)
- 100% threat prevention is not possible today; therefore, security programs need to be staffed and ready to detect threats and respond to attacks around the clock.
Business leaders have increased their investments in security operations. It’s critical to evaluate how that return is delivering on outcomes, especially when delivered by a Managed Detection and Response provider.
Manage Your Cybersecurity Risk with Deepwatch MDR Services
Interested in learning more about managed detection and response? Read Deepwatch’s MDR Buyer’s Guide to hone in on the priorities that security leaders are seeking from their Managed Detection and Response provider. Learn the four outcomes that you will achieve, including relieving your in-house team and strengthening overall security maturity in the SOC.